Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Where has Jimmy Hoffa gone???


Alright, I got to say something. I’ve been constantly venting to the other half of the Maximum Overdrive connection that is Mike Crouse, about recent negotiations between the school board and our union reps. The negotiations are about the upcoming salaries for teachers in the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 years. The negotiations have been settled already with a 5% increase this year and another 5% increase next year. This looks pretty good and beggars can’t be choosers, so I guess I will go along with it for now, but this is my take on it.

At the negotiating table it was emailed to us that the Union came with a 13% possible pay raise. The 13% pay raise was then counter offered by the school board with 3%. Come on 3%, this is just ludicrous. Somehow it got decided that pay raise would be 5%. That’s some stellar negotiating. Now after doing some quick math this is what I came up with. I make about $37,000 a year. 5% of $37,000 is only $1750. Okay, I know, that’s still almost $2000, why am I being so greedy? This is where it gets tricky, you take out 25% for healthcare, retirement, and taxes and you end up with $1312.50. still and that doesn’t sound bad, an extra $100 to each month, hello China Star!!! Oh wait I forgot, I still have to pay those dues for being in the Union; it’s between $300-$400 for a year. Now I’m down to $75 more a month. Why did we have negotiations at all?

Unions can be a great thing, but where has the teachers union gone in North Dakota? It really just seems more and more like a scam to me then a way to help teachers out. They continue to donate money to political parties that promise the world if elected, and when they do get elected are the first to add more hoops to jump through for educators. My biggest question to our union is, “where does the money go.” Someone somewhere is out having the time of their lives, while we are trying to find ways to make more money. Yes that’s right, teachers sometimes have to work during the summer. One of my colleagues was just appalled when I brought this conversation up. She told me that they will help you if a lawsuit is every brought before you, or if are wronged by the school, they are the first to help. I thought this was hilarious. If a lawsuit is ever brought before you, chances are you probably did it, and if the school is doing you wrong, I’m sure they can’t be of any help.

I know I have been pretty harsh on Union representatives, and there is probably more to the story then what I’m seeing, but I have considered not be apart of the Union next year because of the recent events. In North Dakota teachers are not allowed to strike, which means no matter what we do, the school board and government officials will always have the last say. Its not right, and I wish their was a good answer for the problem.

7 comments:

  1. Westley,
    You make a good point about the pay raise. After taxes, dues, etc, the raise sure does not seem like much. Many teachers think they must become a member of the union. The union does some positive things, but teachers do not have to become a member or the NEA. There are other teacher organizations educators can become members. Each of these organizations provides the same benefits and some provides more legal coverage than the NEA. (Many of them for a smaller yearly rate.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also considered breaking my ties with NEA for some of these same reasons. I always talk myself into joining; because they are they are a "reputable" organization. Quite a few of my beliefs don't coincide with how the organization does business. Negotiations in our school have become somewhat of a timely and gross chore reaping very little benefits. We "represent" other teachers and negotiate for those that are not part of NEA and they don't pay dues either... fair or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a bit older, I just want to say a word in defense of teacher's unions. It may seem that nothing is really accomplished by our union, but I don't think anyone would want to go back to the pre-union days when teachers were called in one-by-one and told what raise they would get. Believe me, things were not equal across the board. Can you imagine what morale would be like when pay raises were given out. I worked with teacher who was told that she didn't need a very big raise since her husband had a job. This is the norm not the exception. It's true that we can't strike but that isn't the union's fault. I have been teaching for 34 years and make just a bit over 50k. If I teach much longer, you will catch up to me. That's because a great deal of progress has been made in recent years. I remember many, many lean years. A 5% raise each year for two years is really a pretty good raise. In terms of a potential lawsuit. I know of situations where the teacher was innocent. Having attorneys in your corner without having to pay extra money is well worth it in my book.
    Yes, you can opt out and still get the advantages that the union provides, but even though it is not a perfect system, it is still better than what we had before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wesley: I am the lead teacher negotiator for my education association, and we are going into our seventh meeting with the school board. We have an offer from the school board that is around 5% total for the next 2 years; and the board has mentioned impasse if we don't agree to their offer.

    If we go impasse, then we more or less find ourselves at the mercy of an impasse committee; who will hold an eventual hearing where presentations and recommendations will be made to both sides. The unfortunate part of this process is that recommendations are not "binding." The school board can do what they wish, including pulling $$ out of the previous offer, to pay for the impasse costs.

    One of my colleagues refers to Collective Bargaining in North Dakote as "Collective Begging." That is not far from the truth, and NEA or NDEA can't change that no matter the dues we pay. I assume that is because we are a "right to work" state.

    Wesley, I can't tell you how many hours of frustration this process has caused me. Regardless of funding sources and options, the school board can simply stick it to you and laugh on their way home. In rural areas, many of us educators simply hold another job in the community, and the word professional has no place. I share your concern but don't see any solution in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya. The best thing you can do is to do exactly what my wife and me did. Become a negotiator or hold some sort of seat. I am also not one who will let my money go to an organization without knowing exactly what is going on. So if there is a group that you are questioning, the only sensible thing to do would be to either take it over, or become part of it. People will fear what they do not understand. If you are calling the shots, then there is not fear to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the other half of maximum overdrive I feel I should chime in on this topic. I am part of the union here in North Dakota and I must say that I have not been especially pleased with the union either. My biggest beef is that not all school employees are getting the 5%. In fact, some employees have recieved much more than 5%. I will let you guys figure out which group that was. I will give you hint, it was not the teachers, or building and grounds crew. It kind of gets me fired up because they are basically telling everyone that those people are more deserving of raises than teachers. I should stop now before I get too specific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wes,

    I too, feel your frustration. North Dakota is a right to work state. This is the basis for making strikes illegal. There is an interesting history as ND at one time was one of the more liberal states in the union. Five percent is a pretty good offer. We are currently negotiating. The last time the Fosston teachers got 1.5 and 3 percent. We have to look at the context. Inflation is at near record highs. The dollars buying power is substandard. Any moderate raise will not keep up with the economy. Here in Minnesota, the state isn't ponying up enough money for education. Most of the pay increase is going to health care premiums. Major health care reform, successful that is, could mean more money for teachers. Or it could mean a more bloated government system. I too, never understand why certain school personnel got too negotiate after the teachers. Many times these school officials will intentionally present a viewpoint in order to maximize their raise. This is definitely a custom that is wrong. Increased teacher pay will come from a wellspring of health care reform, property taxes, performance-based bay, and continued teacher attrition. Good post.

    ReplyDelete